If you are interested in advancing your career by working on technical projects and being an integral part this growing public utility, then it is very important for you to contact me now to get all of the details!
- Established in 1921, City of Redding - Redding Electric Utility (REU) is locally owned by its community and locally controlled by the Redding City Council. Local control and essential relationships with other organizations has enabled REU to provide some of the lowest, most competitive rates to more than 42,000 residential and business customers with 800,000 megawatt hours of electricity provided annually and a peak load of over 250 megawatts.
- REU adopted a five-year strategic plan 2020 Strategic Plan . REU will have established, flexible, creative, innovative, and sustainable business practices while continuing to deliver valuable, safe, and reliable services to their families, friends, neighbors, and community. Reu is proud of the commitment that their employees demonstrate every day with their work ethic and dedicated personal involvement in community services.
- Over the years, REU has been very aggressive in managing its energy resource portfolio for economic and reliability purposes, and more recently for environmental, renewable and carbon reduction objectives. Resources optimization does not just happen; it requires extensive transmission and generation facilities dedicated to Redding. REU is therefore proud to have a resource mix that contains 60% carbon-free energy.
- Redding electric utility sources include hydroelectric, natural gas, wind and spot market purchases. They have an energy mix of over 60% hydro (mostly large hydro), 24.2% wind and 13% natural gas. City of Redding - REU Quick Facts
Why is City of Redding the best place in Northern California to work?
- REU and the people that you would directly work for really strive to give you the support, freedom and have the entrepreneurial type of attitude. REU has is all: Substations, power generation, power plants, etc. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to all the variety that matters in the utility world.
- REU Cares: They often have team building on a department level, annual appreciation lunches and birthday raffles monthly. The City of Redding also offers a floating holiday on your birthday!
- The position reports to Senior Electrical Engineer who has been with REU for 16 years and was previously in consulting for 13 years prior. He is the dynamic lead of the Electrical Engineering group. The group is a mix of different personalities and great attitudes. Everyone wants to be a part of the team and feels good about teamwork. He says “As a manager, I try to work with my team by being flexible and making the work environment better, my mgmt. style is to help and support my team”.
- Excellent Benefits with CalPERS retirement Employment and Benefit Overview
Your Role with the Company
This is a newly created position for REU. As the Operations/Compliance Engineer- Transmission and Distribution, you are an integral part of the electrical engineering team. You will perform specialized professional, technical and analytical functions in a variety of operational areas including transmission and compliance to ensure safe operation of transmission assets and compliance requirements are met including coordinate and evaluate day ahead and real time operation studies with balancing area and adjacent transmission operators; provide operational studies to System Operators within legal and established policy constraints and work to ensure the reliable operation of the transmission/distribution system for REU Transmission Operations Area.
The City of Redding, a dynamic community with a population over 90,000, is located at the north end of the Sacramento Valley, 150 miles north of Sacramento. As the center of trade and commerce for the upstate region of Northern California, Redding is the largest city north. Living and Working in Redding
- Experience in power operations engineering or transmission system planning and load flow analysis
- Understanding of WECC/NERC Reliability Standards and requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Registration as a Professional Electrical Engineer a requirement
- Experience in: PSL app software by GE, CIM, Hanna, real time assessment
- An entrepreneurial spirit who wants to work at a small family-oriented utility where you will wear several hats.